Owning a dog means investing in all of the accessories and things that make their lives better. For most dog owners, this means having a dog crate. Although these accessories are certainly useful, they can be expensive, leading many people to learn how to make a dog crate themselves.
Dog crates are used for safety and security, as well as somewhere for them to sleep or relax. They’re especially useful in the puppy stages which is why people want to learn about DIY wooden dog crates before they bring their new bundle of joy home.
For this type of project, you would need to acquire some materials and use some tools from your garage, like a reciprocating saw, hammer, drill, nails, glue and similar.
When you know how to build your own dog crate, you’re saving yourself hundreds of dollars, and getting the satisfaction of creating something with your own hands. You can also design it to suit your aesthetic, which is especially appealing if you don’t want a big ugly black wired crate sitting in your lounge room.
The Pros And Cons Of A DIY Dog Crate
So, why would someone want to know how to make a dog crate? Wouldn’t it just be easier to buy one from the store? Yes, it would be infinitely easier and would be a smarter option for those who don’t consider themselves handy, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of benefits to doing it yourself.
- Saves money – An average dog crate costs around $300 and the price can go up quite a bit. Sourcing the materials for this job can be done for well under $50 and will probably be better quality, too.
- Satisfaction – Nothing beats the satisfaction of knowing that you made something with your own two hands. You’ll be able to look at the crate with pride knowing that you made it, and it will mean more for you and your dog.
- Personalization – Making your own crate means you’re in charge of all aspects of the design feature. For people with a very strict idea of their décor, you can make it work in with the rest of your furniture and actually be a stylish piece.
- Builds skills – Starting with small projects like learning how to make a dog cage will then lead you to build other things, and it could turn into a lifelong hobby.
- Added comfort – Making a dog crate yourself means giving your dog the most comfortable place to rest, and somewhere they can feel safe and protected. You might choose to add extra padding or more space, depending on what you feel they need.
Guide For Building Your Own Dog Crate
Once you’re committed to making the crate, there are some things you’ll have to consider before you get started. As with any home DIY job, the planning stage is more important than the building, so really make an effort to plan it carefully. These are just a few things to consider before you begin the project.
- Measure Up Your Dog – The size of your dog will determine how much space they need in a crate. If they’re puppies, keep in mind that they will grow quite quickly so you’ll have to build it big enough to account for this. You’ll want to add around two inches either side of the dog for small breeds and four inches for larger ones. The length should reach the top of their ears when erect.
- Draw the plans – Take some time to make a detailed plan of the dimensions of the crate based on your own dog’s measurements. They’ll need enough space to sit, lay down, stand, and should feel secured inside.
- Get the Materials and Tools – There are different types of materials you can use depending on what you’re after. Some use wood if they’re using it indoors mainly, or chain link if it will be used outside. It will also depend on how long your dog is going to use it for, with anything over eight hours a day needing more breathability. As for tools, it is important to have a proper saw and some nails, everything else is an added bonus.
- Level of Expertise Required – Your own skills will also determine the type of dog crate you make. There are plenty of online tutorials with detailed guidelines for making a dog crate of either chain link or wood. Go with what you feel most comfortable and what will suit your skill level. You should be prepared to spend a total of five hours or more on this project and around $100 in supplies.
To give yourself a better idea of what’s needed for a dog crate, you can also check out the local pet supply stores to look at their designs. This will show you how the basic construction works and what materials you might prefer to use.
A Practical Project For You And Your Dog
Dog crates are one of those accessories that will benefit you as much as it does your dog. You’ll prevent any accidents occurring in your house or them crying at night because they’ll be safe and secure in their crate.
The key making a good dog crate is knowing what size is best, and this will all depend on your dog. Take the time to measure them properly and ensure they have enough space in the width and height, but also that they’ll feel secure.
There are some great DIY jobs you can do at home that will save a lot of money and give you a sense of satisfaction, and building a home for your best friend with a dog crate is one of the best you can do. With just a few materials and some basic know-how, it’s easy enough to make your own dog crate that will benefit both you and your dog for years to come.